National Digital Literacy Mission (NDLM)
The National Digital Literacy Mission (NDLM) envisages initially to provide Information Communication and Technology (ICT) training to 10 lakh (Ten lakh) persons, one in every eligible household in selected Blocks in each State/ UT of the country. Out of 10 lakh, 9 lakh will be trained through government machinery and 1 lakh through Industry, NGOs and others through their own resources/ under Corporate Social Responsibility.
- To impart basic ICT skills relevant to the need of the trainees, which would enable the citizens to use IT and related applications and participate actively in the democratic process and further enhance opportunities for their livelihood.
- The persons shall be able to access information, knowledge and skill through the use of digital devices.
The Scheme is to be implemented in each State/ UT across the country. The States/ UTs are categorized into three broad categories,
- Category A
- Category B
- Category C Based on their population.
Implementation of the Scheme is to be carried out in around 5 – 7 Districts in Category A States, 4 – 5 Districts in Category B States and 2 – 3 Districts in Category C States/ UTs. A broad classification of the States under each category.
Maharashtra State Comes under Category A.
For Details Visit National Digital Literacy Mission Portal (NDLM) click here
Two levels of training under the SCHEME
The two levels of IT training envisaged under the Scheme will have the following broad objectives:
Appreciation of Digital Literacy (Level 1)
To make a person IT literate, so that he/ she can operate digital devices, like mobile phones, tablets, etc., send and receive emails and search Internet for information, etc.
Basics of Digital Literacy (Level 2)
Besides IT literacy at a higher level, the citizen would also be trained to effectively access the various e-Governance services being offered to the citizen by the Government and other agencies.
Level 1 : Non-IT literate – Illiterate and upto 7th standard pass
Level 2 : Non-IT literate with atleast 8th standard pass
Age : 14 to 60 years
Level 1 : 20 Hours (Minimum 10 Days and Maximum 30 Days)
Level 2 : 40 Hours (Minimum 20 Days and Maximum 60 Days)
Place of Learning
The eligible households can nominate one person from their family. The selected person to get himself enrolled under this programme in a nearest Training Centre/ Common Service Center (CSC).
Level 1 : For SC/ ST/ BPL Households, no training fee payable and for General candidates, course fee of Rs. 125 applicable.
Level 2 : For SC/ ST/ BPL Households, no training fee payable and for General candidates, course fee of Rs. 250 applicable.
NGOs, Industry, Government authorized centres, Common Services Centres (CSCs) and authorized educational institutions with appropriate infrastructure will be utilised to train and empower ten lakh citizens on IT literacy in select Gram Panchayat/ Blocks/ Districts of each State/ UT. The training will be held at various training locations including CSCs, Adult Literacy Centres, NIELIT Centres, RSETI, NGOs involved in IT Literacy, etc.
- Household survey
- Eligible households identified
- Each household to nominate one person from the family
- Nominated person to be enrolled in the nearest NDLM Training Centre using their Aadhaar (UIDAI) number
- Unique Username and Password to be provided to the beneficiary
- Learners to study the self learning e-modules through the LMS
- Continuous assessment at the end of each module
- Attendance on a daily-basis using Aadhaar number
- On fulfilling the minimum number of learning hours and successful completion of assessment, the learners will be eligible to appear for national level examination.
- Certificates will be issued to successful candidates.
Monitoring of the Scheme
District level Committee
District e-Governance Society under the Chairmanship of District Magistrate/ Collector with concerned Department. & representative of NGO / implementing agency to oversee / monitor the implementation at the block level.
At State Government level
Apex Committee headed by the Principal Secretary (IT) with representative of Department of Education, Panchayati Raj & Social Welfare.
At Central Government Level
An Empowered Committee will be constituted under the chairmanship of Secretary, DeitY. This committee will be empowered to take decisions regarding any policy level interventions in the Scheme.
Periodic concurrent evaluation of the Scheme implementation would be done through a third party by the Implementing Agency.